In this short article, we'll discuss how CitizenShipper works and what we do to facilitate a secure and safe shipping experience.
What We Are
CitizenShipper is an online marketplace that’s used to connect people that have items they need shipped with qualified transporters in their area.
- Transporters are independent contractors who use the platform as small business owners.
- They aren’t employees of CitizenShipper.
What We are Not
CitizenShipper isn’t involved in the actual transport or payment of the shipment. We enable the independent contractors to use a payment method that’s most convenient for their small business.
- You hire the driver, provide your transport requirements and pay the driver directly.
- Your payment is based on an agreed-upon, contracted quote through an internal messaging system.
How Does CitizenShipper Protect Shippers?
We know that there can be a lot of anxiety when you’re shipping your most valuable personal items or your pets. As a courtesy, CitizenShipper offers best practice resources that shipping customers can use to gain insight when selecting a driver.
- The About section is where transporters list experience and expertise and quote considerations.
- Our resources also include suggested actions for payment protection.
- The marketplace includes thousands of reviews from previous customers, plus contract negotiations and special certifications.
- Drivers on CitizenShipper submit their information to the background check platform Checkr.
- The standard background check includes a driving records check, employment verifications, international verifications and drug screening.
- Once a transporter has passed the stringent background check their profile displays a Background Certified achievement badge.
In summary: The shipping customer agrees to a contract with the independent transporter. While these transporters are using the marketplace to bid on shipments, they’re not employees of CitizenShipper. The shipper is responsible for the driver selection they make.
Shipping customers and independent contractor transporters utilize our marketplace to find each other and they do so only after agreeing to certain risks and limitations and to indemnify CitizenShipper as outlined in our Terms and Conditions.