The well‑being of everyone who uses CitizenShipper has always been our priority. We are actively monitoring the coronavirus (COVID‑19) situation and taking steps to help keep our communities safe.
We ask all drivers on CitizenShipper to take just three minutes out of their day and read this article. It contains vital information that will help you not only continue winning shipments safely but also increase your transportation volume. Learn how to discuss COVID-19 with your clients, and which steps you should take to keep everyone safe.
As of March 2020, there is no reason to think that any animals including pets in the United States might be a source of infection. To date, “CDC has not received any reports of pets or other animals becoming sick or spreading COVID-19.”
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention hasn’t issued any advisories or restrictions for travel within the United States. However, cases of coronavirus have been reported across all 50 states, with some areas experiencing a community-wide spread of the disease.
For your own safety
To continue providing your customers with transportation services, here are a few words of guidance on ensuring everyone's safety:
- Make sure to negotiate the dates straight away, agreeing on an ETA that leaves you room to maneuver.
- Wash your hands often, applying soap and water for at least 20 consecutive seconds. This especially applies after spending time been in a public space, blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Use cards for all payments, as they are more easily sanitized than cash
- Pay fuel at the pump and sanitize handles instead of going into the building
- Buy food that has been vacuum-sealed
- Take rest stops in open spaces, avoiding crowded areas
Reducing customer anxiety
Customer anxiety is probably at its peak, therefore we advise you to outline all the safety protocol measures you're taking to address the current pandemic.
- Social distancing. Be respectful of your proximity to customers and try to keep a few feet of distance.
- Proper personal hygiene. Make sure they’re aware of your vigorous hand washing.
- Protective equipment. Let them know you're equipped with gloves, face masks, etc.
- Clean and sanitized vehicles, during each delivery as well as in-between.
- “No contact” pick up and delivery. Offer customers the option of leaving a pet crate outside their door at pick-up. As for delivery, you can similarly leave their pet for them at a pre-agreed time and place.
General pet safety concerns
Since most of the listings on our site are pet relocation requests, make sure to outline the standard safety practices you’re taking in regards to their well being, such as:
- Clean carriers safe from Parvovirus
- Separate bowls for each pet
- How often do you take breaks and where
- GPS tracking options
We have seen drivers successfully convey all this information to customers in their introductory messages, or during the conversation on the CitizenShipper platform, and we’ve found that this helps to reduce customer anxiety.
Finally, the coronavirus spread has already caused some states to implement curfews and shutdowns. Therefore, make sure to encourage your customers to act quickly and book you before more aggressive safety measures are introduced on a federal level.
Finally, we appreciate the patience and flexibility of all our customers in these challenging times. We sincerely wish you the best of luck and health. Our dedicated support teams are accessible via email (email@example.com).